Global systemic risks, trajectories and transdisciplinary levers for action
Scientific Conference – June 20-23, 2022, Grenoble
In the context of current global degradations, whether environmental, ecosystemic, climatic, social or political, our human societies are confronted with ever more pressing issues, constituting what is now commonly called the Anthropocene transition. These major changes, if they fully materialize, will commit our societies to trajectories of brutal transitions and potential collapses on various scales.
Multiple researches are essential and three areas deserve to be particularly encouraged:
- On the long-term structural dangers due to the transgression of the biophysical limits of the planet and its impact on the daily life of populations.
- On the interconnection of the structural networks of our society, their complexity, and the hyperspecialization of their components which can propagate at the global level the slightest local or sectoral shock. This second aspect requires a transdisciplinary facet, unusual in our research practices.
- On social and political changes and how they can vary trajectories. This third aspect requires the integration of politics as one of the variables of the field of study.
Systemic risks, their causes and consequences, are still poorly assessed, little understood, and even less controlled. The current context of research organization is partly responsible for this because it is not conducive to the emergence of systemic issues. We therefore propose to form an established scientific community focused on these issues. Many of you have been calling for this for several years.
The Archipel 2022 conference « Systemic risks, trajectories and levers for action » is a first step. Its goal is to constitute a transdisciplinary scientific collective that will allow the emergence of questions, salient points, frameworks of thought, methods and tools that will allow us to deal with systemic risks, and more globally with the future of our societies. The objective of this conference is to initiate a collaborative work aiming at:
- to bring together a community of scientists from diverse backgrounds, adopting shared systemic approaches to global issues;
- to co-construct and consolidate frameworks of thought, knowledge and methodologies on global systemic risks, their assessment, and their mitigation;
- to make concrete progress in the production and dissemination of knowledge.
Any work that falls within the scope of these systemic and global issues is relevant for this conference, whether it is applicative, methodological or epistemological.
In this context, we invite all concerned researchers to submit a paper.
Registration for the Archipel 2022 conference is open to everyone and is mandatory for anyone participating and having an accepted submission. However, we stress the fact that the language of the conference is French. You can submit a proposition in English but you will be asked to participate in a discussion in French when presenting your work.